Submit Your VCUCard Photo
Photo Submission is Now Open - Closes January 31st
Photo Submission is an OPTIONAL service available to you during orientation. Your photo is the most vital part of the submission process. We want the best YOU displayed on your VCUCard, but we also want to be sure we can clearly identify you. The VCUCard Office follows the U.S. Passport image guidelines as outlined by the United States Department of State.
The coordinator for your orientation will inform you when Photo Submission is available. You are strongly encouraged to submit your photo at least 1 week prior to your scheduled orientation date, allowing enough time for VCUCard staff to review your photo. Once your image is uploaded, you will receive an email confirmation with further instructions.
Any image submitted to the VCUCard Office will be used for identification purposes only. VCUCard reserves the right to refuse any image that does not adhere to the standards outlined below. If you do not adhere to these guidelines, your image will be rejected and you will need to choose a more appropriate image to re-submit.
If you currently have a VCUCard and are seeking to replace your image, you may be subject to a fee.
- Be the only person visible with no props present
- Take your photo within 6 months of your submission
- Face forward and aim your chin straight (no side profiles)
- Look directly into the camera
- Make sure your face is clearly visible (no shadows)
- Use the correct background color
- Use a solid medium grey, tan or similar color (without a crease or pattern)
- DO NOT use white, black or fluorescent coloring
- Do not wear glasses, sunglasses, hats, graduation caps, gowns or costumes
- Do not Photoshop or crop people, objects, or backgrounds out your photo
- Be a JPEG file format ( .jpg )
- Be in color
- Portrait orientation
- Larger than 600 x 800 pixels
- File size between 15KB and 1MB
- No red eye
- Normal contrast and lighting
Gather your eID and Password
You must know your eID and password to log into the website. Visit vcu.edu/eid/finder/ to determine your eID. Contact the IT Support Center at ts.vcu.edu/it-support-center/ for assistance with your eID and password.
Navigate to the Photo Submission Tab
Click the Photo Submission link on the right side in the Quick Links section. If you will be receiving your first VCUCard, you should not have a photo displayed.
If you receive an error message or timeout during your session, you will be redirected to the home page; click the Photo Submission link again to resume.
Upload your Image
Click the Choose File button on the right to locate your image on your computer. After choosing the appropriate image, press the Upload button.
Your image should now appear as a Pending Photo Submission. If you receive an error message, please review the Photo Submission Guidelines to ensure you are using a photo that meets our specifications.
Waiting for Review
Photos are not typically reviewed on the same day they are submitted. You are strongly encouraged to submit your photo at least 1 week prior to your orientation date, in case you need to submit more than one photo!
You are sent an email to your VCU email account when your photo has been approved or rejected.
Verify Your Status
You can verify the status of your submission from the same place you uploaded your photo at anytime!
If your image is listed as:
- Pending - your photo has not yet been reviewed by a VCUCard staff member; please allow at least 1 business day for processing time.
- Current VCUCard Photo - your photo has been accepted and you will pick-up your new ID during your scheduled orientation date. If you do not have an orientation, please wait at least 24-hours before visiting your primary office location for pick-up.
Rejected Photo Submissions
Your image can also be rejected! You can choose to re-submit a more appropriate image, within the allowable time frame. Photos are not typically approved on the same day they are submitted.